A Global Trade Item Number (GTIN) is a barcode assigned to each product variant.
E.g., T-shirts come in various sizes, and each variant must have a unique GTIN.
GTIN come in different types:
Starting from March 8th, you should provide a GTIN code to all new products of the well-known brands. Click here to check the applicable brand list.
Where Can I Find a GTIN?
Trademark owners or manufacturers can assign barcodes. If you are a brand owner or manufacturer, you will need to register with GS1 UK to get unlimited encoding of your products. Otherwise, you’ll have to request a trademark owner or manufacturer to provide you with the barcodes of the product you’re planning to sell.
How to Apply for GTIN?
② Click “Get started” and fill in the necessary information.
What are the Requirements for GTINs on Joom?
- It’s forbidden to use false GTINs.
- GTINs cannot be removed – only modified.
- Each GTIN can only be assigned to one product variant. It is forbidden to reuse GTINs.
- If your product belongs to a specific category (handmade, collectible, etc.), and you're uncertain whether you should apply for GTIN, please contact GS1 UK for assistance.
- We accept GTINs with 8, 12, 13, and 14 digits.
How to Add a GTIN Code on Joom?
There are three ways to add a GTIN code to a product variant on Joom. You can do it via Merchant Panel, CSV file or Joom API.
|via Merchant Panel|
- Go to the Products page in the Merchant panel.
- Choose a product you want to edit. Use product filters to find the specific products.
- Click Edit Product.
- Scroll down to Product Variation section and fill out the GTIN code for a corresponding variant.
- Click Save.
|via CSV File|
Please refer to the article How to Edit a Product?
|via Joom API|
Please check the related guide in the Joom API documentation.
How to Check the GTIN Validity?
① Open the GS1 digit calculator.
② Copy your GTIN without the last digit, paste it into the calculator and click “Calculate”.
③ Calculator will show you the last digit of your GTIN.
④ Compare it with the last digit of your actual GTIN – if the last digits of the GTINs match, then your GTIN is valid.
If you received the barcode not through GS1 UK website, then please contact them.
Would It Be Possible to Change a GTIN?
It is usually impossible to assign a new GTIN to a product. But if the product's characteristics are significantly changed (e.g., a chemical formula of a cream has changed, or a component has been added to the composition), then a new GTIN can be assigned.
We highly recommend getting a genuine and registered GTIN because products without it can't be shown and promoted in the Google Shopping search results.
Please sign in to leave a comment.